Witaj na Forum Linuxiarzy
Zanim zalogujesz się, by pisać na naszym forum, zapoznaj się z kilkoma zasadami savoir-vivre'u w dziale Administracja.
Wiadomości z problemami zamieszczone w wątku "Przywitaj się" oraz wszelkie reklamy na naszym forum będą usuwane.

[User testimony] Jak Sparky pomógł mi ożywić iMaca z 2006 roku

Zaczęty przez maciejr, Sierpień 26, 2019, 01:52:19 PM

Poprzedni wątek - Następny wątek

maciejr

Dzień dobry,
Napisałem kilka słów po angielsku nt. moich doświadczeń ze Sparky. Myślę, że nadawałoby się to do wykorzystania na stronie
"https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php" pod "Using SparkyLinux",
dlatego kopiuję tutaj. Jeśli się przyda, to proszę bardzo.
Pozdrawiam i dziękuję za bardzo przydatną dystrybucję!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proponowany tytuł sekcji: Revive an old computer
Proponowany tytuł artykułu: User testimony - a vintage Mac

I had a vintage "late 2006" iMac 6,1 with Intel Core 2 Duo and 3GB of RAM. This 13-year old machine stopped receiving Apple security updates years ago, so for any internet activity it badly needed an update. I compared about a dozen 32-bit and 64-bit distributions. Sparky was a clear winner. I went for Sparky 5.8 LXQt 32-bit (stable).

Pros:
- Sparky installed quickly off the USB stick (created with Balena Etcher)
- my Broadcom WiFi card was recognized and usable during setup and after installation - this is a BIG pro, as, for example, Debian and Ubuntu expect you to apt-get the appropriate packages to support WiFi on this card, and this is impossible if you cannot connect!
- easy setup, many things taken care of, e.g., DVD auto-playback, automatic update, automatic language packs setup
- you can select an appropriate Apple keyboard in the settings
- brightness and sound volume keys on the Apple keyboard work out-of-the-box; the "eject" command can be easily added to LXQt keyboard shortcuts
- boots in 45 seconds, decent performance with up-to-date software
- no initial boot-time lag (which happens on Apple systems with some distributions)
- the Apple remote works out-of-the-box for play/pause and volume control; did not care to set up the forward/backward keys

Minor issues:
- I had to set video output in VLC settings to "XCB"; leaving it on Automatic or selecting anything with OpenGL would _hang the system_ upon video playback
- I needed a wired keyboard and mouse for setup; install blueman using Synaptic to set up bluetooth devices
- even though my wireless Apple keyboard + trackpad work, the bt connection is occasionally interrupted, for a minute or so (happened twice during 5 days); it is better to keep at least a wired mouse on the side
- there is a "natural scrolling" setting in LXQt, but it does not persist between sessions; I think this worked for me: https://askubuntu.com/a/1012071

These issues are either minor, or can be worked around. All-in-all I think Sparky may be a perfect way to revive an old Mac!

Two more comments. First, the look of LXQt is reminiscent of Windows XP. Some may not like it, but for my parents, who will be using the machine now, this is another pro. For those who prefer a more Mac-like environment, XFCe might be an option.

Second, it is not trivial to install a 64-bit Linux system, although it works with some distributions, as discussed here:
https://mattgadient.com/linux-dvd-images-and-how-to-for-32-bit-efi-macs-late-2006-models/
However, since Sparky makers support both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, there seems to be no reason to "make" the 64-bit edition work if 32-bit already works.

pavroo

Dzięki, materiał może być przydatny, dodam do Wiki.
Pozdrawiam
Czasami lepiej trzymać usta zamknięte i być traktowany jak idiota, niż je otworzyć i rozwiać wszelkie wątpliwości. Mark Twain

Zobacz najnowsze wiadomości na forum